Statement on COVID-19
To: All Renewing & Future Residents
Date: May 22, 2020
Re: Update on COVID-19 Protocols & Our Plans for September 2020
Our community matters to us. We recognize this crucial and uncertain time that has been affecting the globe and want to ensure we are doing our part to protect the health and well-being of all our residents, staff, and contractors.
Throughout the past few months, we have continued to closely monitor the health and safety guidelines laid out by the World Health Organization and BC Ministry of Health. As per these guidelines, we have instituted new policies and procedures aimed to protect residents, employees, and contractors. Most, if not all, of these processes and procedures have been in effect since March 2020. These include:
- Increased cleaning of all residential buildings and implemented daily sanitization of high traffic touch surfaces such as handles, elevator buttons, and coded entry locks.
- New hand sanitizer stations are available at all building entrances.
- Posted notices throughout the building explaining best recommended hygiene practices for all residents and protocol for reporting potential/confirmed cases of COVID-19 to VEDA staff.
- Established policies and protocols for a positive COVID-19 within the building should it be reported to VEDA staff. Residents are asked to contact management to report any resident/guest who is ill with COVID symptoms or tests positive for the virus.
- Non-urgent work orders were immediately halted in March to adhere to recommended social distancing requirements. As the province releases their guidelines for returning to regular work, our work orders will resume while ensuring all recommended guidelines are followed.
- Contact between residents and employees/contractors is being organized in a way to reduce direct contact. This includes screening, appointment-only meetings, social distancing, protective barriers, and PPE use where warranted.
- Constant communication from VEDA management regarding updates on policies and procedures to best protect everyone.
- Onsite amenities have been temporarily closed to reduce shared spaces and decrease the chance of groups or high traffic usage. As things return to normal, these spaces will reopen slowly in accordance with public health guidelines and with the goal of minimizing risk to residents.
- VEDA staff have been working from home as of March and will be returning to the onsite office in June 2020. The office will continue to be closed to the public for the time being but visits can be booked by appointment-only should there be an urgent need.
- Our staff continue to be available by phone or email during all regular business hours to assist with any requests or answer any questions pertaining to current and future residents.
- Virtual property tours are available for any students interested in living at VEDA by visiting https://www.vedaliving.ca/virtual-tour/. Our rentals team continues to be available to answer any questions and administer the necessary paperwork for leasing.
The University of British Columbia Okanagan has recently announced their plans for September 2020. They anticipate a “mixed model” in which some of the courses (or parts of them) will be delivered virtually and others face-to-face. You can view this announcement here.
This announcement gives us excitement moving forward and we wish to inform students that we are currently accepting applications for those looking for a self-contained suite to move into this September. For those of you who may have the majority of their courses online, you may still be looking forward to one of the most memorable part of the university experience-living away from home with other students from your school. We are here for you and will be sure to make this experience as enriching as possible!
Our goal is to keep all residents informed of any changes or information that could impact them in any way. We aim to be as open and transparent with our current and future residents who are a part of the VEDA community. We are thankful for your patience and understanding as we continue to support each other during this time.
At VEDA, we care first and foremost about the safety of our tenants. Doing our part to
support your health and well-being during this time is our number one priority.
We are focused on meeting your needs and are managing our response guided by the federal and
provincial authorities’ daily information updates and evaluating our response against new information
as it becomes available. As such, we are in contact with the City of Kelowna, Interior Health Authority
and the Provincial Government and are implementing all recommendations they have for close-
Here for you
Our lines of communication are open, and we are available to you. Residents can reach our staff via
email and phone with questions or service requests during regular business hours.
All amenity spaces including the fitness rooms and pool tables have been closed until further notice. We
have also implemented many enhanced cleaning and hygiene measures, including:
- Providing hand sanitization stations at all entrances to VEDA Living buildings and key common areas
- Increasing the frequency of our cleaning services, which are now on-site seven times a week.
Ensuring our cleaning services are paying extra attention to high-touch surfaces and common areas
like doorknobs, handles, stairway railings, keypads, garbage disposal areas, communal laundry room
areas and elevators.